Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

 Title: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

 Author: Becky Albertalli

 Publisher: Balzer + Bray

 Date Published: April 7, 2015

 Genre: Contemporary

 Pages: 320

 Age Range: 15+








                                                                         Summary:

     Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he's pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he's never met.


                                                                            Review:


     Yet again, I am the only person who dislikes this book immensely. I really did not like this book, and I almost left it unfinished. I found it realistic, but very boring and I didn't walk away with some deep, profound message like everyone else seems to have. Instead of loving the writing, I found it very annoying and almost lazy.
     I didn't care about any of the characters in this book. I didn't care if Simon was blackmailed, or if he found love, or if he found acceptance. I honestly just didn't care about anyone. A meteor could've struck the earth, and killed every named character, and I would've laughed. Simon got on my nerves, and I couldn't relate to his angst and struggle in any way, shape, or form. Besides Simon, I found his relationship with Blue creepy, and the fact that Simon thought he was one person, and really liked that person proves that what he had with Blue was all in his mind. All of that aside, I didn't find anything worth the hype that it received.
     The writing was so annoying. I understand that the author was trying to sound like a teen, or whatever, but she achieved nothing but offend me. Seriously, not all teens sound stupid and have annoying speech patterns like Simon and Co. Okay, I'm not really offended, but you catch my drift.
     I've read much better books that deal with a gay person trying to get acceptance and this book was just a collection of annoying writing, many cliches, and terrible characters. This book was a huge let-down and I'm really mad that I spent weeks forcing myself through this book with the hope that it would get better.



                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment