Thursday, October 1, 2015

Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray

 Title: Lair of Dreams

 Series: The Diviners (#2)

 Author: Libba Bray

 Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

 Date Published: August 25th, 2015

 Genre: Paranormal

 Pages: 624 (Hardcover)

 Age Range: 14+






                                                                        Summary:

     After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O'Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. With her uncanny ability to read people's secrets, she's become a media darling, and earned the title "America's Sweetheart Seer." Everyone's in love with the city's newest It Girl...everyone except the other Diviners.

Piano-playing Henry Dubois and Chinatown resident Ling Chan are two Diviners struggling to keep their powers a secret--for they can walk in dreams. And while Evie is living the high life, victims of a mysterious sleeping sickness are turning up across New York City.

As Henry searches for a lost love and Ling strives to succeed in a world that shuns her, a malevolent force infects their dreams. And at the edges of it all lurks a man in a stovepipe hat who has plans that extend farther than anyone can guess....As the sickness spreads, can the Diviners descend into the dreamworld to save the city?


                                                                          Review:

     YESSSSS!!!! I finally got my hands on this book, and I freaked out! I'm incredibly pleased to report that Libba Bray can do no wrong. In this book, we meet some new people, and run into a whole slew of messy drama. This book does a stellar job of moving along the overarching theme while focusing on the singular plot of this book.
     This book was a lot less focused on Evie, and more focused on Henry and Ling's journey and development. Which was not necessarily a bad thing because I was angry with Evie for a lot of this book.  I know, I know, angry with the character who I loved so much in the last book? Yes. While Evie really ticked me off for a majority of this book, that didn't stop me from waiting on the edge of my seat for her next chapter.
     In this book, we focus a lot on the dream world, something that, I felt, was a great place to go. Last book, we had some exorcism ghost type thing goin' on, and in this book, we have some weird dream/ reality thing goin' on. It's super hard to explain, but it was really cool. I am loving the direction that we are heading. The whole twist with Mei was something that I didn't see coming, but it was terrifyingly perfect.
      I really like the new characters that we met in this installment, and I liked the characters that we got to learn more about. Henry is so perfect, but I saw the plot twist about his love life coming up. Ling got on my nerves, but I am excited to add her to our Avengers lineup. Evie needs to get her act together in the next book, or else. And I wanted more Jericho! I felt like this book was a little Sam heavy although I LOVE him. Honestly, I'm not a fan of love triangles, but this one just works for me.
     I cannot wait for the next installment! I just hope that it's another eighteen years before book 3.


                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment