Thursday, September 10, 2015

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

 Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses

 Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses

 Author: Sarah J. Maas

 Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's

 Date Published: May 5, 2015

Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance

Pages: 432 (Hardcover)

Age Range: 14+






                                                                       Summary:

      When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin--one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow over the faerie lands is growing, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin--and his world--forever.


                                                                         Review:

     Sarah J. Maas has done it again. I am slightly disappointed because she published this while the Throne of Glass sextet is only four-sixths of the way finished, BUT BUT BUT this book is totally worth waiting on Throne of Glass for.
     Feyre is this girl, and she starts out being an incredible Katniss rip-off. Feyre isn't a parody, but a serious re-representation of this girl. Feyre hunts to provide for her otherwise-screwed family, and she shoots with- guess what??- a bow and arrow. I could draw more similarities from The Hunger Games to this book than I could with Beauty and the Beast; this book is supposed to be a Beauty and the Beast re-telling, and while I did find some of those traits, I found more Hunger Games characteristics, especially in the characters. So while Feyre can be renamed Katniss, her younger sisters can be renamed Selfish Idiot, and Prim. Nesta got on my nerves, and I never really ended up liking her. I actually forgot the youngest sister's name. Their father, too, got on my nerves. He was so weak, and he truly became his ailment.
     Moving on to the actually juicy drama, Tamlin was all sorts of amazing. Of course, I could see the Beast in him, but I could really see the Beast in Rhysand the most. Tamlin reminded me of Fluffy from Harry Potter: big and scary, but secretly cuddly. Rhysand was kind of a mixture of the opposite, and some weird form of secretly good. I'm team Tamlin, but I have a sneaky feeling that we'll be seeing a lot more of Rhysand. And Lucien!! We MUST have more of him!!!
      The plot of this book was all over the place- in a good way! First we have the whole thing going on with The Evil Queen, then we have the thing going on with Tamlin, and then we have stuff going on with Rhysand and faeries. I can't say much without being spoilery, but things went in fantastic directions.
     Now, I must read Queen of Shadows. I do believe that Sarah J. Maas can do no wrong.



                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment