Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith


Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Author: Jennifer E. Smith

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Date Published: January 1, 2013

Genre: YA fiction, romance, contemporary

Pages: 272 (paperback)

Age Range: 12+






Summary


Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


Review


My best friends bought me this book for my birthday so naturally, I started reading it right away. I'm sad to say that it was a book I could put down and walk away from without thinking about it until I picked it up again. It wasn't bad but I'm a very picky bookworm. Especially with contemporary novels, because there are a lot of bad (or not great) contemporary books out there. I've picked up some bad ones, and some really good ones. I would say this book is in between, like straight down the middle.

Here's why.

The ending was cute and sweet. I feel like the connection between Hadley and Oliver could've been a little less dramatic. I would've liked to have seen these two become friends, then, after a little while, have their relationship grow. I don't understand why Hadley did some of the things she did, like go to Oliver's church to sort of "spy on him," or "see why he was there" if you'd like.

Hadley was too devastated over the whole situation with Oliver when she only knew him for less than 12 hours. It seemed a little over the top to me, even though Hadley admitted this herself. She was just too into him from the start. But, yes, maybe that was the point since the title does include "Love at First Sight."

I think the whole subject about fate was great because it is accurate; I feel like a good bit of life is about timing and being at the right place at the right time, but maybe that's just me. What if Hadley had made it to her plane on time? She never would've met Oliver, had a connection with him and talked to him, leading to her realizing that she needs to appreciate her father because he won't be around forever. If she'd made it to her flight on time, she probably would have gone to her father's wedding and done exactly what she intended. Then left without any closure; in the end, leaving angry.

 The writing was good, the characters were nice--though they could have used a little more flare to their personalities.

Also, I found it really funny that Hadley has been to every state in the U.S. but on (North Dakota). Because I've been to every state but one as well (Alaska).



No comments:

Post a Comment