Friday, August 14, 2015

Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken


Title: Never Fade

Series: The Darkest Minds series #2

Author: Alexandra Bracken

Publisher: Disney Hyperion

Date Published: September 30, 2014

Genre: YA fiction, romance, action, thriller, fantasy, adventure, sci-fi

Pages: 544 (paperback)

Age Range: 13+




Summary


Ruby never asked for the abilities that almost cost her her life. Now she must call upon them on a daily basis, leading dangerous missions to bring down a corrupt government and breaking into the minds of her enemies. Other kids in the Children's League call Ruby "Leader", but she knows what she really is: a monster.

When Ruby is entrusted with an explosive secret, she must embark on her most dangerous mission yet: leaving the Children's League behind. Crucial information about the disease that killed most of America's children-and turned Ruby and the others who lived into feared and hated outcasts-has survived every attempt to destroy it. But the truth is only saved in one place: a flashdrive in the hands of Liam Stewart, the boy Ruby once believed was her future-and who now wouldn't recognize her.

As Ruby sets out across a desperate, lawless country to find Liam-and answers about the catastrophe that has ripped both her life and America apart-she is torn between old friends and the promise she made to serve the League. Ruby will do anything to protect the people she loves. But what if winning the war means losing herself?


Review


In the beginning, I couldn't really get into it. Because I was looking for Liam. All I wanted was to find Liam! I didn't care about anything else. But then I started to get to know the new characters. 

I love the new characters! Vida is so badass and snarky that I really liked her, even though everyone kinda hates her (just a little) because of how annoying and obnoxious she is. I thought it was great. I want her blue hair! 

Nico wasn't really in the story so I don't have much to say about him, except, "Why didn't he keep up with Jude at the end of the book??"

Jude was my absolute favorite character in this book! I liked how he wasn't as brave, or sure of himself as we've seen with the other characters. He's not naive and is serious when struck with a serious situation, like when he saved Ruby and all the others from Michael and his gang. I thought he was really, really sweet...*sob*

I'm sorry but there are going to be spoilers because I just can't keep this bottled up (it's unhealthy).

WARNING: SPOILERS! AND TEARS

JUUUUUUUUUUDE WHYYYYYYY!!? WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE JUDE?? SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE SAVED JUDE! WHY DID HE HAVE TO DIE!?

When the place blew up and everyone assumed Clancy would die down there, I was like "Okay, at least something good came out of the League building collapsing and killing my favorite character...kinda"
10 pages later. "WHAT?"

SPOILER SECTION OVER

Okay...sorry, I just--I just couldn't keep it inside any longer....Whyyyyyyy????

I liked watching Ruby's powers grow, even though it got out of hand. I hated Knox. He made me really mad, so I was happy when he was out of the picture. Bye bye Knox. Bye bye Rob.

I was upset and panicking when they finally found Liam, but I was super, super happy to have him back! The only problem...His memories. He doesn't remember Ruby and, after seeing what she'd done to her parents and Sam, I was worried it would be hard for him to get his memories back, or that he wouldn't at all.

WARNING: SPOILERS AGAIN
 
When Liam got his memories back...I was so so so happy. It was such an intimate moment. It felt like I could really feel his panic and confusion. He was distraught that Ruby had done this to him. He'd trusted her! He never thought she would use her powers against him in order to send him away.


SPOILER SECTION OVER
 
The writing was good, but it was hard to follow sometimes. It was like the characters didn't really know what was going on sometimes when they should have. Also, I felt that there were a few unnecessary parts in this book. And these are the only reasons why I'm rating it 4 stars instead of 5. Plus, I'm mad about Jude so take the 4 stars and leave me with my grief!



Sorry for all the spoiler sections lol.

www.ashleyearley.com
www.ashleyearleybooks.tumblr.com
www.ashleyearleybooks.blogspot.com


1 comment: