Friday, October 31, 2014

Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg


Title: Better Off Friends

Author: Elizabeth Eulberg

Publisher: Point

Date Published: February 25, 2014

Genre: YA fiction, contemporary, romance

Pages: 288 (hardcover)

Age Range: 13+





Summary


For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can't be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan's friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they're best friends--which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep getting in each other's way. Guys won't ask Macallan out because they think she's with Levi, and Levi spends too much time joking around with Macallan, and maybe not enough time with his date. They can't help but wonder . . . are they more than friends or are they better off without making it even more complicated?

From romantic comedy superstar Elizabeth Eulberg comes a fresh, fun examination of a question for the ages: Can guys and girls ever really be just friends? Or are they always one fight away from not speaking again--and one kiss away from true love?

Review


Can I please be the first to say that this book is splendorific (that's a cross between splendid, terrific, and wonderful for those of you who don't know. And yes, I am an amazing wordsmith, thank you for asking.)? Because it is one my favorite books of all time, and is definitely a favorite book of 2014. It is sweet and funny in all the right places, and it leaves you with a really warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

Macallan is a regular girl. Honestly, I can see so many people I know reflected in her and the way she acts. I loved how real and raw Macallan was because it added a lot of realism to the book. Levi was adorable- in every sense of the word. I loved how sweet and patient he was, waiting for Macallan as long as she needed. Besides, I really love the name Levi... Just sayin'.

I loved the whole 'boys and girl can be best friends too' aspect of the book. I'm a sucker for books where girls and guys are best friends and this book enveloped all that wonderfulness perfectly. The feelings that this book made you feel were really raw and happy.

I was so excited when I saw that this book was in dual perspective. I love dual perspective books, and the execution was really good. I especially loved seeing the banter between Levi and Macallan after each chapter- it was light, funny, and super cute to see the relationship between the two protagonists.

I would briefly like to address the fact that some people want a sequel to Better Off Friends... No. Please, no. The book ended with an absolute ending, unlike To All The Boys I've Loved Before. The charterers' journeys were complete and we left them at a god point. I understand wanting more of Levi and Macallan- they're both adorable, and funny, and really fun to read about- but their story is done. I hope that if Elizabeth Eulberg does write a trilogy, she doesn’t force in a love triangle or any sappy drama. However, I hope for no sequel at all.

I absolutely loved this book and it has gone into my favorites pile. Now, it's time to see what other amazingness Elizabeth Eulberg writes in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment